OptiMSM®, clinically proven to support joint health and mobility, offers a new approach to exercise recovery
Living a more athletic life is fun and rewarding, but it also means having the kind of physical fitness to enjoy daily exercise. With our busy lives, aches and pains can distract us from our healthy routines. Live a more vital life and optimize your time by supporting joint, muscle and overall health with OptiMSM®.
Manufactured in the U.S., OptiMSM® is a sulfur- containing compound that provides multiple benefits for pursuing an active lifestyle.
While the advantages of physical activity are clear, strenuous activity such as training or exercise, physical labor, Do It Yourself projects or simply participating in recreational activities increases the production of free radicals-potentially resulting in oxidative stress, a condition that has been linked to both aging and disease. In addition, vigorous physical activity is often associated with inflammation and wear and tear on joints, tendons, ligaments, muscles and other connective tissue.
While MSM is traditionally touted with supporting joint health and range of motion, Bergstrom Nutrition recognized a natural progression for OptiMSM® toward exercise recovery and sports nutrition.
Therefore, a small human Proof of Concept study was launched which supported a trend for the reduction in muscle soreness in a dose dependent manner and a significant increase in Trolox Equivalent Antioxidant Capacity (TEAC), the first evidence of its kind.
Two recently published studies show strong evidence of efficacy for MSM's use to mitigate oxidative stress from acute bouts of exercise, potentially supporting exercise recovery and performance. They showed MSM supplementation may have some alleviating effects on lipid peroxidation and protein carbonylation while altering the glutathione redox state in favor of increased antioxidant capacity.
Results also suggest MSM may decrease muscle damage via promotion of antioxidant capacity, resulting in lower creatine kinase and lactate dehydrogenase in the MSM treatment group following an acute bout of exercise.
Peer reviewed and recently published research indicates that daily oral supplementation of OptiMSM® may be beneficial for exercise recovery.
Human and animal studies suggest MSM:
- Helps combat exercise-induced inflammation12
- Promotes connective tissue repair and regeneration by decreasing Reactive Oxygen and Nitrogen Species 1,2,3,4,8
- Decreases measures of muscle damage and soreness 1,2
- Supports healthy joints and range of motion7,8,9
- Reduces oxidative stress following exercise 1,2,3,4
- Prevents cartilage breakdown5,6
- Increases overall antioxidant defense 1,2,3,4,8
1) Kalman. DM et al.. "Influence of methylsulfonylmethane on markers of exercise recovery and performance in healthy men: a pilot study" J Int Soc Sports Nutr. 2012 Sep 27, 9(1) 46 [Epub ahead of print].
2) Barmaki, S et al," Effect of methylsulfonylmethane supplementation on exercise-induced muscle damage and total antioxidant capacity." J Sports Med Phys Fitness: 2012; April, 52(2):170-174.
3) Nakhostin-Roohi, B et al, "Effect of chronic supplementation with methylsulfonylmethane on oxidative stress following acute exercise in untrained healthy men." J Pharm Pharmacol 2011 Oct,63(10): 1290-1294: Epub 2011, Aug 1.
4) Marañon, G et al, "The effect of methyl sulphonyl methane supplementation on biomarkers of oxidative stress in sports horses following jumping exercise." Acta Vet Scand: 2008 Nov 7:50:45.
5) Kloesch, B. et al, "Dimethyl sulphoxide and dimethylsulphone are potent inhibitors of IL-6 and IL-8 expression in the human chondrocyte cell line C-28/12" Life Sci, 2011, Sep 26,89(13-14) 473-478 Epub 2011 July 28
6) Oshima, Y. et al. The effect of methylsulfonylmethane (MSM) on human chondrocytes in vitro." MOA-OARSI 2007, Nov.213. 7) Usha, PR et al, "Randomised, Double-Blind, Parallel, Placebo-Controlled Study of Oral Glucosamine, Methylsufonylmethane
and their Combination in Osteoarthritis " Clin Drug Investig 2004, 24(6) 353-363
8) Kim, LS, et al., Efficacy of methylsulfonylmethane (MSM) in osteoarthritis pain of the knee a pilot clinical trial." Ostoarthritis Cartilage 2006 Mar, 14(3) 286-294 Epub 2005 Nov 23
9) Debbi, EM. et al.. "Efficacy of methylsulfonylmethane supplementation on osteoarthritis of the knee a randomized controlled study." BMC Complement Altern Med. 2011 Jun 27: 11:50.
OptiMSM® is manufactured in Bergstrom Nutrition's dedicated U.S. GMP-compliant, ISO 9001:2008 registered, FSSC22000:2010 certified facility and is GRAS-designated.
These products are not intended to diagnose, treat, cure, or prevent any disease. These statements have not been evaluated by the food and drug administration.